Friday, October 29, 2010

I dare you to praise Obama for something!

This is a test of your ideological flexibility!

Can you praise President Obama for a success in the last two years?

Progressives probably can't and conservatives probably won't.

Therefore, the progressive blogging community is partially responsible for the 'Enthusiasm Gap' in the Democratic base that may lower voter turn-out and may throw the Congress to the GOP. Meanwhile, the GOP's inability to see the good is creating a delusional, hysterical, traitorous Disloyal Opposition.

Try this exercise that illustrates my point: I dare you to praise Obama for something.

I will take my own challenge to demonstrate.

I appreciate Obama getting the military into reverse on both of Bush's stupid wars. The new Bob Woodward book "Obama's Wars" shows Obama and Biden wisely recognizing Afghanistan as another Vietnam, and creating the conditions for ending the war. The book shows Obama standing up to the generals, demanding a six page letter of terms, after the military kept trying to roll him on things they'd already decided. Now this is pretty "Inside Baseball" talk, but it provides reassurance to anti-war base voters. After the Afghanistan decision to escalate, there was a widespread deflating in the base. Obama is on the way to fulfilling the promise to get us out of these wars and he deserves credit for that work in process. May these movements towards peace be successful.

I think we naturally don't want to be cheerleaders for power, and this is a healthy instinct. And also we live in a time of national madness, when the group thinking machine of the media is completely delusional. We are suffering under a Fox propaganda culture that's winning over Reality (where facts about carbon-dioxide exist!) So it's up to us people, to tell the truth as we see it!

Or how will the public know what has gone well?

The Obama Administration is up to some cool stuff, but you'd never know it. They just haven't telling their story that well. Www.Whitehouse.gov is pretty cool as blogs go, but it is like a museum: quiet, scholarly, under utilized, careful. Obama's new media hasn't gone very deep into the Net-roots or youth Facebook culture. Then add the noise: Fox is a GOP mouthpiece and only talks smack. Then add the silence: progressives are alienated or very quietly supportive. Suddenly Obama is the Invisible Man, an Unsymbolizing Symbol.

So let us celebrate the victories of the Obama Administration so far and help them out.

I say: Overall, I believe Obama is a good guy in a very hard job, and he has done a pretty good job so far.

I liked the 42 nation summit on Non-Proliferation of nuclear weapons.

I liked that the Attorney General allowed Medical Marijuana to advance in California.

I like the organic garden and the anti-obesity/whole foods campaign of Mrs. Obama.

I like that they are putting solar panels up on the White House!

I liked that the international banking system didn't do a 1929 meltdown. (That was good, right GOP?)

I like the anti-bullying GLTB work they've done lately.

I like that they are moving on 54 high-speed rail projects in 23 states that will get $2.4 billion dollars.

I like that they haven't pushed "free trade" deals.

I appreciated the Cairo speech's outreach to the Muslim world.

I liked that Credit Card companies can't jack your rates without telling you.

And so on.

Try this exercise. I double-dog dare you. It pushes some buttons in the psyche but please stretch yourself.

Because the Republican Climate-Denying Zombies are at the door of Congress and if they get in, we'll never get the Climate Legislation necessary for planetary survival!

On the November 2nd election, I stand with the President Obama and the Democrats and I hope you will too.

May truthful words build a sustainable world.

No comments: